Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fit For A King


My throne was a rock. My view was from the best seat in this outdoor theater. Both were found shortly after discovering a link to King Creek Falls on the Web. The distance seemed perfect for a short hike. The sky was cloudy and the rain was light. I was off. When I arrived, blue sky was above the canopy of trees. I sat on my rock, my camera at the ready. Sunlight created a few blemishes. I didn't care. I was already planning my return trip. This experience is worth repeating. Meet King Creek Falls, which is less than a mile from a popular camping area in extreme Upstate South Carolina and a few miles from western North Carolina. Less than a mile from the headwaters of the Chattooga River, this 70-foot cascade makes a near-vertical drop into a narrow valley. Boulders surround its base, creating unparalled views from virtually any vantage point. In spite of its size, the falls remains a secret until you are feet from it. Multiple cascades along King Creek herald the yet unseen falls. It's an easy, well-worn trail except for roots that challenge your balance during the final approach. To return to e-Photos.biz, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment